Counting Standards that Kindergartners should master by end of Kindergarten:
- Counting to 100 (including counting forward beginning on a number other than one)
- Writing numbers 1 – 20
- Counting the number of objects
- Identifying numbers are more or less (greater or smaller)
These standards can be practiced in the grocery store environment. Examples:
- Ask your child to count the number of eggs in a carton
- Ask your child to count out 10 oranges to put into the cart.
- Compare two different containers with different number of items and ask which has more / less.
It is important that children see the practical application of math concepts and the grocery store is the perfect setting.